Douglas County Kansas Seal (home page)
Douglas County Kansas Header (home page)
Douglas County, Kansas

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 

Douglas County Kansas ONLINE

Section Home

Get Acrobat Reader (free)
Acrobat Reader is needed to view files in PDF format. Download a free copy by clicking the icon above.

Get Flash Player (free)
Flash Player is needed to view files in SWF format. Download a free copy by clicking the icon above.
You are here: Home Page > Departments > County Clerk > Food Sales Tax Refunds

This page contains information on the food sales tax refund from the County Clerk of Douglas County, Kansas.

General Information

The County Clerk's office is happy to assist with filing the Food Sales Tax Refund, Kansas Homestead Claim, or Property Tax Relief Claim ("Safe Senior"). Our office is located on the first floor of the Douglas County Courthouse, 1100 Massachusetts Street, Lawrence.

Our hours for Homestead, Safe Senior, and Food Sales Tax Refund assistance are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.

Filing dates for 2012 returns are January 1, 2013 through April 15, 2013.

back to top

Kansas Food Sales Tax Refund (K-40)

This program offers a refund of the sale tax paid on food for certain qualifying individuals. The County Clerk's office is happy to assist in filing a Food Sales Tax Refund claim for those not otherwise required to file a Kansas Individual Income Tax return. (If you are required to file a Kansas Individual Income Tax return, please see your tax preparer for help with filing your claim.)

Do I qualify for this refund?
To qualify you must be a Kansas resident, living in Kansas the entire year. Your Kansas qualifying income must be $36,700 or less. The refund is claimed on the Kansas Individual Income Tax Return (Form K-40).

You must also meet one of the following requirements:
  1. Be 55 years of age or older, or;

  2. Be blind and disabled, or;

  3. Have a dependent child who was under 18 for all of 2012, who lived with you all year, and whom you claim as a personal exemption.

How much is the Food Sales Tax Refund?
If your income is:.............................. Your refund is:
$0 - $18,350 $94 for each exemption
$18,351 - $36,700 $47 for each exemption
$36,701 or greater You are not eligible for the refund

What information is needed to file?
So we may better assist you with your Food Sales Tax Refund filing please bring the following information with you when visiting our office:
  1. Your name, social security number, address and telephone number. Name and social security number of your spouse, if applicable.

  2. Personal information for each dependent including name, social security number and date of birth.

  3. Your banking information if you would like to have your refund directly deposited into your bank account. (Bank routing number; bank account number and type of account)

back to top


For more information on the Homestead or "Safe Senior" refund programs through the Kansas Department of Revenue:
For a Kansas Department of Revenue agent, call (785) 368-8222 (Please Note: 1st menu press 4, 2nd menu press 2). Be sure to call this number if you move as the Post Office will not forward refunds.

back to top

Contact Us

For more information about these programs, please use the contact information listed below:

NameJob TitlePhone NumberEmail Address
Kathleen TaylorHomestead & Food Sales Tax Clerk(785) 832-5167

back to top