Oversize and Overweight Vehicle Permits
This page contains information on how to obtain a permit allowing the use of Douglas County Kansas roads by vehicles that are oversized and/or overweight.
Some of the notable updated regulations include:
- Permit application must be submitted at least three working days prior to move
- Permit fee is $50 base fee plus $10/mile traveled on county or township roads
- Damage deposit increased from $500 to $1,000
- Vehicle loads with individual axle configuration and axle loads must be included in permit application
- UNLAWFUL USE OF PUBLIC ROADS: It shall be unlawful to operate or move on a County Road, or for the owner or lessee to cause or knowingly permit to be operated or moved, a vehicle or combination of vehicles if the vehicle or combination of vehicles is of a size or weight of vehicle or load exceeding the maximum specified under Article 19 of Chapter 8 of the Kansas Statutes Annotated, and amendments thereto, or of a height exceeding the maximum specified at K.S.A. 17-1914, and amendments thereto, without first receiving a Permit for such operation. Further, it shall be unlawful to violate the terms and conditions, or for the owner or lessee to cause or knowingly permit the violation of the terms and conditions, of any Permit issued pursuant to this Article, including but not limited to failing to follow the permitted route on the permitted date.
- APPLICATION FOR PERMIT: Before operating or moving a vehicle or combination of vehicles of a size or weight for which a Permit is required under Section 9-604, or before the owner or lessee causes or knowingly permits any such operation or move, an Application shall be filed with the Director to permit such operation or move.
- TYPICAL VEHICLES AND LOADS INCLUDED: Typical vehicles and/or loads include, but are not limited to, the following: Any vehicle, trailer or load with a width greater than 8 1/2 feet; any vehicle, trailer or load with a height greater than 14 feet; and any vehicle, trailer or load with the weight on any wheel exceeding 10,000 pounds. Examples are: hauled construction vehicles; houses being relocated; and house trailers, manufactured homes, or mobile homes.
- Oversize and Overweight Load Permit (PDF format)
- Oversize and Overweight Annual Load Permit (PDF format)
- Oversize and Overweight Home Rule Resolution: 10-4-2 (PDF format)
- Oversize and Overweight Rules & Regulations (PDF format)
- Oversize Move Priority Routes Map (PDF format)
- Kansas Legislature - Statutes